Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Scones.

It was only a matter of time.
It's October.

And October = pumpkin spice scones! 
This is another fall recipe that I wanted to make last year, but didn't because, well, let's face it, these scones are just a fancy excuse for eating giant, cakey pumpkin spice cookie-wedges covered in cinnamon-sugar glazes for breakfast.  
I'm okay with that.

Sometimes figuring out what to bake around here can be a headache. 
I don't like crispy cookies, my parents do. They like nuts in their cookies and pancakes... do not even get me started. My dad doesn't like mint or lemon, my mom doesn't like cinnamon with chocolate or anything sweet with peanut butter. My boyfriend doesn't like mini M&Ms, sweet things for breakfast, burnt marshmallow s'mores, or sugary frostings.

Frosting! Honestly, what am I getting into here? It's a good thing we're in love and all that. 
As for me? Well. We all know that pumpkin things are my weakness (right after Lofthouse cookies and frozen cupcakes), so the thought of making 18 super thick, freshly-glazed scones both terrified and excited me. Really, I should've figured out a pumpkin scones for two recipe... but sometimes I just want to bake something without all the math. <-- is bad at fractions.
Luckily everyone loved these and they disappeared fast. Like... within 48 hours. And as someone maybe slightly obsessed with the Starbucks version, I have to say these were pretty close... and maybe even slightly better. I think next time I would add a little more cinnamon to the scones and make the glazes a little bit thicker, but other than that, these were perfect. And I kind of wish there were some left.  
Make me some? 

P.S. I highly recommend putting your fresh-baked scones on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, drizzling the two glazes over the top, and then moving them to a fancy plate... all so you can scoop up that extra cinnamon-sugar glaze with a spoon. I did not do that. 

Seriously. I didn't.
Okay, fine. Totally guilty. Look at you, knowing me and all. 

Pumpkin Spice Scones


Scones
1/2 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons half-and-half (I used heavy cream)
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes

Sugar Glaze
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Spiced Glaze
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of cloves

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray two baking sheets with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half, and egg. Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Add the cubed butter on top. Cut together using a fork or pastry blender until it reaches the consistency of coarse cornmeal (pieces of butter should be no larger than a small pea).

Gradually fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture, using a spatula, wooden spoon, or your hands. Make sure all the dry ingredients have been moistened well.

On a well-floured surface, flatten and form the dough into a 12 inch x 4 inch x 1 inch-thick rectangle.

Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, divide the rectangle into three equal pieces, then cut each piece into four smaller triangles by making an "X" through them.

Place scones on baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until just light brown. Remove to cooling rack and let cool before icing.

To make the powdered sugar glaze, mix all ingredient together, then brush over the tops of cooled scones using a pastry brush.

After the glaze has set (about 10 minutes or so), make the spiced glaze by mixing all ingredients together. Drizzle onto scones (I put mine in a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off).

Let icing set (or not) and enjoy!

Source: Brown-Eyed Baker.