Monday, October 3, 2011

White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies.

A few weeks ago I wandered into the kitchen and found these two cookies sitting perfectly displayed on the middle of the counter. They couldn't have been more obvious if they'd been placed on a cookie pedestal with a tiny cookie spotlight.  
Raspberry cheesecake cookies from Subway. Have you tried these? Swoon.

I looked around. "They're for you!" my mom said, leaping into the room.

Suspicious.  

"Really?" 

"Well... kind of. Can you make them? They're like a cookie (<-- actual words). With cheesecake. And berries. Bits of berries. Like jam, but not. Okay, love you!" 

Honestly.
The last time I tried making white chocolate raspberry cookies, they turned into white chocolate raspberry fail. But I like a challenge and recreating recipes (as long as it doesn't involve yeast and patience and letting things rise) and can I tell you?
These are one of the best cookies I have ever made. I know I say that with almost every cookie post, but this time I'm super serious. 
They're soft and chewy, like a sugar cookie, but with all the flavor of a raspberry cheesecake. And they taste exactly like the ones from Subway. Maybe even a little bit better. 
The secret? 
This $.99 box of muffin mix! (It comes in blueberry too. Can you imagine? Blueberry cheesecake cookies. With macadamia nuts! This is dangerous thinking...)
And even though they're made with muffin mix and the dough is super soft and, yeah, they kind of look like fat, fluffy pancakes while they're baking, they really are the same texture as a regular bakery-style cookie. I know... I was suspicious too. I thought they would be cakey and soft and fall apart, but trust.
See? Thick. Chewy. Un-pancake-y. Perfect.
Oh and did I mention they're made with muffin mix? That pretty makes them a legit breakfast.
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies


2 (7-ounce) boxes Jiffy raspberry muffin mix
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening 
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips 

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, butter, shortening, and brown sugar, until just combined (I beat mine until it was completely smooth, but still had little chunks of cream cheese). Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 

Add the muffin mix and using a wooden spoon, mix until incorporated. Stir in the white chocolate chips and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease baking sheets and roll dough into tablespoon-size balls. Place 2-inches apart on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until just turning golden around the edges.

Cool five minutes on baking sheet before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Source: Barely adapted from Just A Pinch.